Monday, June 27, 2011
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
On a fine Sunday afternoon, my brothers requested that I try baking a pineapple upside down cake. They have completed the ingredients and have shown me a video as a guide and all I did was to say yes and keep the oven running
Pineapple Upside Down
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C)
Butter (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray) a 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pan with three inch (7.5 cm) sides. Prepare the toppings
4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
1 medium pineapple (peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
Maraschino cherries or candied cherries (optional)
1. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Then remove from heat, and pour into your prepared cake pan.
3. Evenly arrange the fresh pineapple slices on top of the sugar mixture. You may add cherries.
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the ingredients.
2. In a different bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla extract.
4. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk , ending with the dry ingredients.
6. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with cream of tartar just until the whites hold a firm peak.
7. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter
8. Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 - 55 minutes, or until the top of the cake has browned and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan (a toothpick inserted into the cake (not the pineapple) will come out clean).
Remove from oven and place and cool for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan and then invert the cake onto your serving plate. Serve with softly whipped cream.
|This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.|