Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Fort San Pedro

fort san pedro entrance
It is not my firt time to go to Cebu. I have actually toured the whole city in one of my previous trips.  So for this adventure, I was meaning to go to places I have not seen before.  While I was in Manila, I have googled the top sites of Cebu and have known about museums, Fort San Pedro and of course the Magellan's Cross beside it the Santo Nino Church.  


So we loaded a jeepney from SM going to Sto. Niño Church.  But just in time we are in the jeep, rain poured.  I was muttering short prayers that the rain would stop from the time on til we saw a park and an old fortress and since the Lord heared my prayer, we better check it out before another downpour starts.

city hall


The old fortress is the Fort San Pedro.  Built by the Spanish to repel Muslim pirates and angry natives, Fort San Pedro is considered to be the oldest and the smallest fort.  It is believed that at the fort, the Spaniards had its first settlement in the Philippines.  It was named after the flagship of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi.

fort san pedro

fort san pedro

fortress

We didn't have much chance to roam around because of the bad weather.  Good thing some personnel lend us an umbrella so we got to go to their small museum and altar for the Sto. Nino.
museum
sto. nino altar
Sto. Niño Altar


museum
Museum

When rains stopped at a moment we had our pictures taken in the open area. But basically we just waited for the rains to stop while listening to a blind man singing Cebuano songs, his heart out.
blind man singing

Fort San Pedro
A. Pigafetta St.,
Cebu City
Entrance Fee: Php 30

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...