Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gayuma ni Maria

First love never dies. 

That was it for me for Gayuma, a small restaurant in Xavierville near Katipunan Avenue. When I was in my first two years in UP, while my subjects are not killing me yet and I still had a life, I used to have dinner dates with my highschool friends studying at Ateneo.  They are the very people who have introduced me to BTS. It was so famous that I have equated BTS to Gayuma.  Frankly, I couldn’t remember any other food served at Gayuma besides BTS.  By the way, BTS stands for Better Than Sex, a chocolate cake so rich and awesome in flavor…. It was love at first taste.  In effect, I fell in love with Gayuma.

And then this little resto got burned down and had to close shop.


Fast forward to 2010.  Hearing about Gayama’s resurrection at Maginhawa St., Sikatuna Village in Quezon City, I was convince to be reunited with an old love.  Rebirth with a new name, Gayuma ni Maria is now run by the daughter of the owners of the defunct Gayuma in Katipunan serving the family’s well-loved dishes.
So with Kat as my partner in crime, we met up at UP and drove all the way to Sikatuna village for a treat, excited and giddy like a teenage girl meeting a summer fling.  Good thing Kat looked the place up in the net,  we easily found the place.  Arriving at the restaurant, we found it eerie and intriguing with a dim light illuminating its sign.

It was already jampacked when we arrived.  Without any available table, we settled in the high tables and placed our orders waiting for a group to vacate their place.  We were given a menu and was fascinated with how well thought and the wacky the food names in their menu.  Samples are Tuliro, Kala ni Mare, My Country-side Fling, Beats Sex Any day, etc.  It took us quite awhile to scrutinize their menue that about after 15-20 minutes a table at their outdoor got vacated and so we gathered all our stuff for a transfer.

After settling down and have gone through every page of their menu, Kat and I placed our orders.  We got Lumpiang Barako which is logs of cheese (or Cheesesticks) with deseeded hot green pepper.  I was supposed to get Rock Me Baby (Baby Back Ribs) but it was already sold out.  So I settled with H.H.W.W.P.S.S.P or Holding Hands While Walking Pa-sway Sway Pa which is fried peppery chicken tenders with rice.  Kat got Love You, Cross My Heart which is chicken breast with cheese, mushroom and asparagus.

We just love the Lumpiang Barako!  It was splendid.  The melted cheese are very generously size, it was oozing when you take a bite and it goes well with the green pepper.  We actually requested the seeds taken out to ensure that it won’t be very hot so we are very glad about it.  I was quite disappointed with my H.H.W.W.P.S.S.P.  I mean, the name is so exciting yet the food was too salty.  Even if there’s rice and dip, it is still salty.  Kat loved her food although she thinks its nothing special to go back for. 
Photobucket
Lumpiang Barako, Php 115

Photobucket
H.H.W.W.P.S.S.P, Php 185

Photobucket
Love You, Cross My Heart, Php 195

In the middle of our dinner, there was a blackout at the whole neighborhood, we were provided with candles to light our table.  I think the pitch dark ambiance added more to the quirkiness of Gayuma.  What I don’t like however is that a cat was under our table.  Not that I don’t like them, it is afterall a restaurant and not a zoo.
After finishing our meal, we requested for the menu to check on their desserts.  Because it was the BTS that I came for at Gayuma ni Maria, I got Beats Sex Anyday which is the “improved” version of BTS.  Kat got  Pa cute, a Mango Cheesecake. 
Photobucket
Beats Sex Any Day, Php 75

Beats Sex Anyday is chocolate cake mercilessly topped with butterscotch, cream and chocolate bits and chocolate syrup.  It was too sweet for me, I have to share it with Kat just to finish.  Kat’s Pacute however tasted weird.  The cream on top of the cheesecake is strawberry flavored.  Without it, Pacute would have been perfect because the mango is not overpowering and went well with the cream cheese.

Photobucket
Pacute, Php 95

I was disappointed with my visit at Gayuma ni Maria.  It is possible that my expectations were hyped up with the raves of my officemates and the blogs I read.  I anticipated it to be the Gayuma I loved once.  But then again, maybe it is just one of those days.  You never know, when our paths crossed again, love would be sweeter.

Gayuma ni Maria
123 Maginhawa Street, Sikatuna Village, Quezon City, Philippines
0921.681.8989

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...